Hello advisors and students,
This reference tool was created to assist you with your math placement at CAC.
College level math (MAT141, MAT151, MAT162) is recommended for students that meet any one of the following:
1) ≥ 22 on ACT Math Section
2) ≥ 530 on SAT Math Section*
3) ≥ 165 on GED Mathematical Reasoning
4) ≥ 237 on Accuplacer Advanced Algebra & Functions
5) ≥ 286 on Accuplacer Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statistics (eligible to enroll in MAT141 only)
6) Students with AP Calculus AB or BC Score of 2 are eligible to enroll into MAT221
Note: Students with Accuplacer scores may be eligible to “bump up” their placement according to attached Multiple Measures Sheet.
Due to COVID19 some students may not be able to complete the Accuplacer. For students who have not completed Accuplacer or other placement options listed above, college level math may be appropriate if one of the following is met; please discuss your pathway and placement with your advisor using the attached reference guides:
1) Proficient or Highly Proficient on AZ Merit Algebra II
2) ≥ 2.8 cumulative high school G.P.A and ≥ 3.0 high school math G.P.A.
*G.P.A. within last 3 years
If the student and advisor determine college level math is not appropriate then MAT087 is suggested for non-STEM students. MAT097 is suggested for STEM and Business students. Please reference attached guides to assist with placement.
*new SAT which began spring 2016
**Students with AP, CLEP, IB, or Cambridge Scores can see the statewide “Exam Equivalency Guide” under “Tools” at www.aztransfer.com.
Want to brush up before your math class begins? Attend a free one week math boot camp! For more information CLICK HERE
If you have questions about a math course, please feel free to contact the Mathematics Division Chair, Beverly Demaline, at 480-677-7834 or firstname.lastname@example.org.