Study Abroad: Mexico
Learn Spanish In MEXICO!
AND earn SPA101 or SPA102 credit in just 2 weeks!
Central Arizona College is offering this 2-week Spanish language immersion program in the beautiful, tropical city of Cuernavaca, Mexico.
World famous for its tropical climate, archaeological ruins and spectacular scenery, Cuernavaca is about 90 minutes from Mexico City and boasts pleasant year round temperatures of 70 to 80 degrees.
All students will be hosted by experienced, caring and carefully selected local families. Home stays are an invaluable way to learn about Latin American culture and are an important factor in mastering Spanish.
What to expect:
- 5 Hours Daily of Spanish Instruction by Highly-Qualified Native Spanish Speaking Instructor
- Introduction to Mexican Cooking & Traditional Dance
- Visits to Museums, Local Sightseeing & Shopping
- Excursion to Destinations Such As Mexico City, Taxco, Tepoztlan or Teotihuacan (During Second Weekend)
Registration for the Summer 2018 program has closed. Please check back for information on future programs.
Why study abroad in Mexico?
Karen Hindhede is Professor of English and District Chair of Communications for Central Arizona College. She and her family, including her 10 year old daughter, participated in the study abroad program in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
When asked why she was interested in traveling internationally to study, Professor Hindhede said, “I love traveling! I enjoying learning about the history, art, customs, religion, politics—the everyday life—of people elsewhere. I also wanted to improve my very basic Spanish skills and provide my daughter an opportunity to travel and study in the Spanish speaking world. The program was affordable and the two week option was good way to introduce my daughter to an international experience.”
Professor Hindhede elected to stay with a host family in Mexico to get a truly immersive experience. She says, “During our homestay in Mexico, I was surprised and delighted how much my host mother and I were able to communicate with one another despite my rudimentary Spanish. Having just a few days in Mexico gave me more vocabulary and encouraged me to attempt our communication.”
To those students who are interested, but unsure if study abroad is right for them, Karen says, “Study abroad is ideal for students who are curious. Study abroad programs push people out of their comfort zone, but in small, safe ways. Central Arizona College offers many short programs, so the risk is small. It’s a great way to test one’s interest.”
This program is ideal for students seeking to learn Spanish, but is also great for professionals.
Teachers, Educators & School Administrators
- Improve interaction with Spanish-speaking students and parents with increased language fluency and enhanced cultural understanding.
- Spanish language teachers will improve language skills and discover new teaching methodologies.
- Teachers will become more culturally competent and comfortable teaching in a diverse classroom setting.
- Increase language fluency and cultural understanding to improve interaction with Spanish-speaking patients, care-givers and other healthcare professionals.