International Student Employee

The laws of the United States regulate very closely whether students from foreign countries are eligible to work. The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has limited part-time employment for international students.  Students are allowed to work on campus up to 19 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during vacation periods and summer recess. International students are not eligible for College Federal Work-Study positions, as this is a United States Government sponsored program to provide financial aid to American students.

International students that possess an F1 visa may work on campus if they meet the following requirements:

  • The foreign student must be enrolled in a program of study.
  • Must be enrolled in no less than six (6) credits at CAC.  A student can work up to 19 hours per week if enrolled in 12 or more credits, 15 hours per week if enrolled for 9 – 11 credits and 10 hours per week if enrolled in 6 – 8 credits.
  • Students can work no more than 19 hours per week while classes are in session.

International Hire Steps

The Social Security Administration regulates how international students receive and apply for Social Security numbers. International students must show that he/she has obtained employment and show proof of the employment to the Social Security Administration or a Social Security card will not be issued.

Step 1: Student must secure an offer of employment and have the supervisor complete and submit the Student Employment Assignment (SEA) form to Human Resources.  Go to the online job board to find a list of available positions.

Step 2: Student goes to Human Resources and obtain a copy of the SEA and letter from Human Resources.

Step 3: Student obtains additional documentation from Registrar’s.

Step 4: Take letters/documents received from Human Resources and Registrar’s to Social Security Administration.

Step 5: Obtain and show the valid social security card to Human Resources and complete the additional hire documents with Human Resources.

Employers may interview and offer employment to the student, but the student MAY NOT, under any circumstances, begin work before they have secured a Social Security number.

To obtain a Social Security Card you may go to:
Social Security Administration
900 E. Florence Blvd.
Casa Grande, Arizona 85222

According to the Social Security Administration, it takes approximately 2 – 3 weeks to receive a Social Security card either by mail or in person.