|Getting Started in Online Learning - Internet Explorer 10|
Internet Explorer 10/11 Browser Settings
Download a step-by-step version of this information - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
FOR WINDOWS 8 ONLY - Start here
It is important to locate the correct version of Internet Explorer 10 to use
- Click on the "Desktop Window Pane" located in the Modern Interface
- In the lower left corner click on the "Internet Explorer 10" icon
WINDOWS 7 AND OLDER - Start here
Once Internet Explorer has opened certain features will need to be enabled before continuing
- Locate the area between the tabs on the left and the home icon on he right. Then right click the mouse in the area between the two.
- After the menu opens go to the "Command Bar" and click to turn it on. After this is done a new bar will become available
From the Internet Explorer Menu click Tools (or click on the gear icon located in the upper right corner) and select Internet Options
- In the "Browsing History" Section click the "Delete" button
- Uncheck the box labeled "History" then click the "Cancel" button
- In the "Browsing History" Section click the "Settings" button
- Under "Check for newer versions of stored pages" select "Every time I visit the webpage"
- Click “OK” to return to the General Tab
Security Tab - Trusted Sites
- Click "Trusted Sites" (green checkmark)
- Click the "Sites" button
- Uncheck “Require server verification (https) for all sites in this zone” (lower left corner)
- Enter the following sites into “Add this Web site to the zone"
- Click “Add” after entering each website
- Click “OK” when finished
For all online classes:
Security Tab - Trusted Sites - Security Level for this Zone
- If no slider bar displays click "Default Level” to reset any changes which have been made.
- Lower the security level to "Low"
- Click “Custom Level” and modify the following settings if necessary
- Scroll about halfway to “Miscellaneous”
“Display mixed content” - Enable
- Scroll almost to the end to “Scripting”
“Active scripting” – Enable
“Allow status bar updates via script” – Enable
“Scripting of Java applets” - Enable
- Click “OK”
Privacy Tab - Slider Settings
- Click "Advanced" (Located in the row of buttons just above the Pop-up Blocker Settings. If "Advanced" is not available click "Default" and then "Advanced".)
- Check “Override automatic cookie handling”
- “First-party Cookies” - should be "Accept"
- “Third-party Cookies” – should be "Accept"
- Click “OK”
Privacy Tab - Pop-up Blocker
- If “Block pop-ups” is checked click the "Settings" button
- Enter the following sites (as needed) into “Address of Web site to allow”
- Click "Add" after entering each website
- Click "Close" when finished
For all online classes:
Compatibility View Settings
- From the Internet Explorer Menu click Tools and select Compatibility View Settings
- Enter the following sites into “Add this Web site to the zone”
Click "Add" after entering each website
Click "Close" when finished
Close all Internet Explorer windows. When Internet Explorer is opened again, the new browser security settings will have taken effect.
Internet Explorer security updates can change your existing browser settings. Before you take a test or begin an online project it is important to make sure that the browser settings are correct. The minute it takes to verify that settings have not changed can prevent several difficulties and the loss of your answers.
The browser setting most likely to be changed by a security update is on the "Security" tab in "Trusted Sites". Before taking an online test verify that the box next to "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" is not checked.