What is Placement Assessment?
Prior to meeting with an academic advisor and registering for classes, most students will complete placement assessments. Students in the following categories must complete assessment:
- All new students enrolling in a degree or certificate program
- students registering in Reading, English, or Mathematics
- students registering in courses with a prerequisite in Reading, English, or Mathematics.
Students may be exempt from placement assessment if:
- The student provides a transcript or diploma showing completion of an accredited associate degree or above;
- The student presents official ACT or SAT test scores showing required scores to place directly in college level courses
- The student completes assessment testing at another institution and submits those scores to Central;
- The transfer student presents official transcripts from a regionally accredited college or university to show completed coursework in a corresponding subject with a grade of "C" or better.
- The transfer student shows successful completion of a minimum of 9 credit hours of university level academic coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
Procedure to Complete Placement Assessments
It is always best to make an appointment for placement assessments to ensure assessment availability. Assessments are offered at all of the CAC Campuses and the Corporate/Florence Center locations. The assessments are administered via a computer and are not timed. However, so that you won't feel rushed or pressured, you should allow yourself approximately two hours for the assessment. If you would like to see some practice questions please go to the ACCUPLACER Free Study App.
- Signal Peak Campus 520-494-5414
- Superstition Mountain Campus 480-677-7705 or 480-677-7731
- San Tan Campus 480-677-7825
- Maricopa Campus 520-494-6424
- Aravaipa Campus 520-357-2821
- Corporate Center 520-494-6600
- Florence Center 520-494-6801
You also have the option to take the placement assessments at other assessment centers throughout the nation. This is known as remote testing and this option has a fee. Please contact our Testing Proctor, Maurine Dillahunty, at either email@example.com or 520-494-5414 for information.
Your assessment results are printed and distributed to you immediately after you've completed your assessments. You can then meet with an advisor to help you develop your course plan. If you would like to meet with an advisor, make sure to let the scheduler know when you set your assessment appointment and plan an additional hour to complete your initial advising session.
As a courtesy, we offer placement assessments to students who are not Central Arizona College students for a proctor fee of $25 per test.
Click here for Placement Assessment Preparation Information