General Student Employment Information

All student employees of Central Arizona College, regardless of the campus to which they are employed, department or funding source is subject to the terms and conditions of employment as outlined in the Student Employment Handbook.

There may be unique circumstances or requirements that the handbook may not address when writing a general student manual. It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure the student employee understands the conditions of employment at the time of hire. These conditions must include the duties of the job, length of employment, working hours, leave policy, rate of pay, student evaluations and other departmental policies. Employers are strongly encouraged to provide the student employee with a written position description if it deviates significantly from the general job descriptions.

Student must complete the documents for hire and sign the contract with Student Employment before reporting to work. Once all contractual information is completed the supervisor, will be notified when the student can begin working. All new student employees, as condition of their employment, must complete the New Student Employee Quiz prior to signing the employment contract.

Satisfactory work performance is expected of all student employees. If an employer feels that a student is not fulfilling the duties of his/her job, the situation must be discussed with the student employer as soon as the problem is recognized. This will ensure that the student fully understands the responsibilities of the job before additional measures are taken and time elapses.

Student Employee Eligibility Requirements
There are three employment programs available to students at Central Arizona College. Each employment option has different eligibility requirements. However, all students that wish to participate in the various Student Employment programs must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

All available on campus job openings are posted on the web. Students should check the site frequently for up to date information on available jobs. If interested in a job, the student should contact the individual listed on the job opening form for an interview. After interviewing, all newly hired students must complete the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act form, Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9), (A-4) Arizona Withholding Allowance, Employee Withholding Allowance (W-4) and Email Usage form. All new student employees must complete the New Student Employee Quiz before signing their employment contract.

Central Student Employee
A student employed by a department or division within the college. The student does not have to show financial need for these positions. In order for a student to be hired for these positions they must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  • Must be enrolled in no less than six (6) credits at Central Arizona College. A student may work no more than 20 hours per week if enrolled in 12 or more credits, 15 hours per week if enrolled for 9 – 11 credits and 10 hours per week if enrolled in 6 – 8 credits. All non-matriculated individuals must apply for non-student employment positions with the Human Resource Office.
  • While classes are in session students can work no more than 20 hours per week.

Federal Student Employee
The Federal Student Employee is similar to the Central Student Employee in regards to policies, procedures and purpose. The primary difference is the funding source. The Federal Work-study Program is a federally funded program designed for students who have demonstrated financial need as indicated utilizing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). As a Federal Student Employee, the federal government pays seventy-five percent of the earnings and the institution pays the remaining twenty-five percent of the wages. Students employed under this program must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  • Must be enrolled in no less than six (6) credits at Central Arizona College. A student may work no more than 20 hours per week if enrolled in 12 or more credits, 15 hours per week if enrolled for 9 – 11 credits and 10 hours per week if enrolled in 6 – 8 credits. Students that are not enrolled may apply for employment with the Human Resource Department.
  • While classes are in session students can work no more than 20 hours per week.
  • Must be enrolled in an eligible program of study.
  • Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. To maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress a student must: 1) Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. 2) The total attempted credit hours may not exceed 150 percent of the published educational program. Satisfactory academic progress is determined at least once a year. For programs one year or less in length, satisfactory academic progress is determined each semester. Earned credit hours must be at least 67 percent of attempted credit hours each academic year or semester, as applicable.

Off Campus Employment

There are no college requirements for most positions that are located off campus. This option is available for students seeking employment opportunities that are not available on campus. This is a viable alternative for CAC employees seeking student assistance for permanent or temporary employment.

Central Arizona College in its provision of services to students, alumni, and off-campus employers make no representations or guarantees regarding the opportunities listed on its web site and are not responsible for the wages, safety, working conditions or other aspects of off campus employment. The CSES acts strictly as a referral service and makes no particular recommendations. The integrity of each organization or person that lists an opening with the college is not researched. It is the responsibility of the students to take the necessary precautions when interviewing for and accepting part-time, full-time and/or internship positions. The student is advised to use care when applying for any position with an organization or a private individual. Students are strongly advised not to go alone to a residential address to apply for a job.

International Student Employees
The laws of the United States regulate very closely whether students from foreign countries are eligible to work. The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has limited part-time employment for international students and are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during vacation periods and summer recess. International students are not eligible for College Federal Work-Study positions, as this is a United States Government sponsored program to provide financial aid to American students.

International students that possess an F1 visa may work on campus if they meet the following requirements:

  • The foreign student must meet the general eligibility requirements.
  • Secure an offer of employment and have the supervisor complete a Notice of Hire form.
  • Obtain and provide a copy of valid Social Security Card.

The Social Security Administration has new regulations in regards to how international students receive and apply for Social Security numbers. International students must show that he/she has obtained employment and show proof of the employment to the Social Security Administration or a Social Security card will not be issued.

Central Arizona College has implemented a new process for employing international students. Employers may interview and offer employment to the student, but the student MAY NOT, under any circumstances, begin work before they have secured a Social Security number. After proof of employment is received by the Student Employment a letter and copy of the Notice of Hire form is submitted to the Manager of Student Records. A letter from the Manager of Student Records along with documentation from Student Employment must be taken to the Social Security Administration when applying for the Social Security number.

To obtain a Social Security Card you may go to:

Social Security Administration
900 E. Florence Blvd.
Casa Grande, Arizona 85222

This form may also be downloaded from the Social Security Administration’s website (

According to the Social Security Administration, it takes approximately 2 – 3 weeks to receive a Social Security card either by mail or in person.

Content on this page is provided by Career & Student Employment Services.

Central Arizona College - District Office 8470 N. Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ 85128 Phone: 800-237-9814