CAC gears up for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Oct. 24-26
By Guy Harrison, CAC Media & Marketing Specialist
PINAL COUNTY, Ariz. - Tickets still are available for the Central Arizona College theater department's upcoming production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
Showings for the one-act musical comedy are scheduled for Oct. 24 and 25 (7 p.m.), and 26 (3 p.m.) at CAC's Don P. Pence Center for the Visual and Performing Arts on the college's Signal Peak Campus.
Featuring music and lyrics written by Tony Award winner William Finn, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a hilarious tale of overachievers' angst and chronicles the experience of six adolescent outsiders vying for the spelling championship of a lifetime.
The one-time Broadway show is the unlikeliest of musicals about the unlikeliest of heroes: a quirky yet charming cast of outsiders for whom a spelling bee is the one place where they can stand out and fit in at the same time.
Parental guidance is suggested for this performance as it features adult language and themes. According to Dr. John Owens, the director, the show on Thursday, Oct. 24, has been adjusted to a PG-13 level. The shows on Friday, Oct. 25 and Saturday, Oct. 26, are near an R-rated level. The show is not suitable for young children.
The production features a cast of local talent (high schools they attend are next to each name):
• Matthew Higgs (Casa Grande Union) as Chip Tolentino
• Brigitte Cesario (Poston Butte) as Logainne Schwartzandgruebenniere
• Reggie Nichols (Florence) as Leaf Coneybear
• DJ Pefu (Coolidge) as William Barfee
• Alexia Coppell as Olive Ostrovsky
• Angelica Krueger (Casa Grande Union High School) as Marcy Park
• Gabriella Dominguez as Rona Lisa Perretti
• Kyle Doerges (Casa Grande Union) as Vice Principal Douglas Panch
• Taylor Felten as Mitch Mahoney
• Dylan Marley (Coolidge) as Carl Grubenierre
• Kyle Erickson (Albertville, AL) as Dan Schwarz
To purchase tickets or for directions to the show, log on to www.EventsAtCAC.com or call 520-477-SHOW. Tickets also can be purchased in person in the H Building at CAC's Signal Peak Campus on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 8 a.m. and noon.